Can't get my old famicom work

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

ouso1999

Can't get my old famicom work

Post by ouso1999 »

Hi guys
I have an old famicom whose model is dy 656 but I lost its cables . I remember I used to use rf video cable to connect tv but that was when we used to have an old tv so how can I get it work on a smart tv now ?
and for the power I used to have a multivoltage adapter for it but I forgot how to adjust the right voltage for it and I can't remeber how to set the polarity too .
here are some pics of my stuff
Like a sunset
Dying with the rising of the moon
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Re: Can't get my old famicom work

Post by Individualised »

Just an FYI, generally we call Famicom/NES consoles not manufactured by Nintendo (clones) "famiclones", not Famicoms. Thought I'd just mention that to prevent any further confusion and so you don't get mixed up, as any instructions for repairing Nintendo consoles may not apply to clone consoles and vice versa so you'll want information that's relevant to your model in particular.

As for your video out issue, you can either mod your console to have composite out, or you'll just have to buy an RF to composite adapter. I'm not sure how you'd go about composite modding a clone though.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

The first photo shows what appears to be a composite output jack, labeled "Video".
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

Dwedit wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:01 am The first photo shows what appears to be a composite output jack, labeled "Video".
Didn't look at the pictures properly. I feel very silly.
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

The adapter can only deliver 250mA, I highly doubt it is enough (except if the famiclone uses modern components and uses less energy). Find something that delivers 750mA or more.

Also, I can't see the polarity of the DC current for the famiclone, but you have to know this before plugging the power in, and you can't just guess it, otherwise you have 50% chance of just frying it. Unless it is like the NES and runs on AC, and in that case the polarity wouldn't be a problem.

Maybe you can learn something if you disassemble it.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

That AC brick is definitely not enough, 500mA+ @ 7V+ is needed to make things reliably run. Polarity is center negative like MD1, SMS and many other Japanese made things. Reverse polarity is likely to cause damage to the 7805 in there.
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

TmEE wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:45 am That AC brick is definitely not enough, 500mA+ @ 7V+ is needed to make things reliably run. Polarity is center negative like MD1, SMS and many other Japanese made things. Reverse polarity is likely to cause damage to the 7805 in there.
How do you know the polarity? This is a famiclone, it can be anything, can't it?
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

While my guess would be that this is 9v DC center negative, you should be very careful about power because supplying the wrong thing can damage or destroy the console. Figuring out the polarity is critical. If you have a multimeter, I suggest opening the system up and seeing which part of the connector hooks up to ground. If you don't have a multimeter, I strongly suggest getting even a cheap one, as they're very useful even with minimal hardware knowledge.
ouso1999

Post by ouso1999 »

Hi guys . Thank you all for your interest in helping me out . I appreciate so much

While I was searching through my collections I found this new unused adaptor
What do you think?

Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by Joe »

We don't know what type of AC adapter your famiclone was designed to use, so we can't tell if that one would work. It could destroy your famiclone.

You need to open your famiclone and look inside. There's no other way to tell.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

Jarhmander wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:35 amHow do you know the polarity? This is a famiclone, it can be anything, can't it?
I have worked with many tens of them (including very close relatives of one in the photos of first post) and all of them use center negative. If there is any with center positive that is common now, it will be something modern.

The brick shown has wrong polarity if the box is to be believed. Photos of adaptor itself do not show the polarity but on voltage + current respects it is enough but plugging it in without verifying polarity is going to be destructive and possibly unrepairable.
ouso1999

Post by ouso1999 »

Joe wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:59 pm We don't know what type of AC adapter your famiclone was designed to use, so we can't tell if that one would work. It could destroy your famiclone.

You need to open your famiclone and look inside. There's no other way to tell.
So if I tried to disassemble the console and removed the cover I would find something in there to tell ?
Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by ouso1999 »

TmEE wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:01 pm
Jarhmander wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:35 amHow do you know the polarity? This is a famiclone, it can be anything, can't it?
I have worked with many tens of them (including very close relatives of one in the photos of first post) and all of them use center negative. If there is any with center positive that is common now, it will be something modern.

The brick shown has wrong polarity if the box is to be believed. Photos of adaptor itself do not show the polarity but on voltage + current respects it is enough but plugging it in without verifying polarity is going to be destructive and possibly unrepairable.
You're right and don't believe the box . I think the adaptor is negative because I have another famiclone with led lights and the led didn't glow until I set the voltage to 9 and polarity to negative but when I used that adapter the led glowed right away
Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by ouso1999 »

I searched for my model of famiclone on google and found some sites which look in Polish language to me and found the same model with the same seals and everything
And they say that I need 9 v and 850 ma but don't mention anything concerning the polarity

https://archiwum.allegro.pl/oferta/pega ... 15415.html

https://allegrolokalnie.pl/oferta/kon-p ... rvideogame
Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by Venutech »

You might be able to check with a multimeter without opening it, if you have one.
I'm guessing the outside of one of those video/audio outputs are connected to ground. Maybe you can determine the power input ground by seeing which side has continuity with the audio/video plugs.
Post a couple pics of the circuitboard if you don't have a multimeter.