Mega Duck

Discussion of development of software for any "obsolete" computer or video game system. See the WSdev wiki and ObscureDev wiki for more information on certain platforms.
Individualised

Mega Duck

Post by Individualised »

Could someone tell me more about the hardware of this system? Online research results in conflicting answers. Some sources say that the Mega Duck is literally just a clone of the Gameboy but with an incompatible cartridge port (I know that many games released for Mega Duck were also ported to Gameboy and they look pretty much the same, but sound different), other sources say that it just uses (a clone of?) the SM83 and has no other resemblance to the Gameboy, while others say that it's a relative of the Watara SuperVision hardware. I thought this system was quite infamous among the GB wannabes/competitors so I'm surprised there isn't concrete info on this. Was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on it.
tepples

Re: Mega Duck

Post by tepples »

Mega Duck's system on chip is a clone of the Game Boy's, with the same Sharp SM83 CPU core. There are two technical differences other than the cartridge port pinout: 1. Most registers have different addresses. 2. There's no boot ROM; the program starts at rst $00 like on SMS.

SameDuck is a Mega Duck emulator forked from SameBoy.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

Interesting. Wonder why they'd go through the effort when just making a normal Gameboy clone would seem more profitable.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Nintendo has always been a litigious company. That has to be part of it.