VT02 sound

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

Individualised

VT02 sound

Post by Individualised »

Does anyone know of any Famitracker forks or other trackers that have VT02/VT03 sound support? I know it can be easily approximated in Furnace with 2x2A03s + a generic DAC channel, but was wondering if any software supports it natively alongside the specific hardware quirks that come with it e.g. the non-linear channel mixing.
dougeff

Re: VT02 sound

Post by dougeff »

You get 3 channels extra by adding VRC6.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

dougeff wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:12 pm You get 3 channels extra by adding VRC6.
? I'm not sure how this is relevant to my post, maybe you misinterpreted? I'm not looking for options to extend the NES's sound capabilities for any music or homebrew, I am aware of and am familiar with all of the various options already. I was wondering if any existing trackers natively specifically supported the VT02, for testing purposes.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

The implicit answer is "No, there is no explicit VT02 support in any current tracker, but you may be able to obtain similar capabilities from expansion sound chips, if that is enough for you."

As for non-linear channel mixing, the actual mixing formula of the VT02+ on-a-chip systems is completely unknown in any case, and is unlikely to be identical to the original NES', and is very audibly different across manufacturers of plug-and-play consoles that use the VT02+ on-a-chip systems. For example, the Samuri Star Angel 60-in-1 has an audio circuit that completely distorts the triangle channel, which I don't think anybody in their right mind would want.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

NewRisingSun wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:31 am The implicit answer is "No, there is no explicit VT02 support in any current tracker, but you may be able to obtain similar capabilities from expansion sound chips, if that is enough for you."

As for non-linear channel mixing, the actual mixing formula of the VT02+ on-a-chip systems is completely unknown in any case, and is unlikely to be identical to the original NES', and is very audibly different across manufacturers of plug-and-play consoles that use the VT02+ on-a-chip systems. For example, the Samuri Star Angel 60-in-1 has an audio circuit that completely distorts the triangle channel, which I don't think anybody in their right mind would want.
I was under the impression that the way the VT02 mixes its channels was known/emulated and had heard something about distortion when more than 4 or 5 channels are played, but I guess I was wrong. That renders my original post invalid then. Thanks for the info.