More phone debate (split)

You can talk about almost anything that you want to on this board.

Moderator: Moderators

Fiskbit

Re: More phone debate (split)

Post by Fiskbit »

I have split this off from the ChatGPT thread. Please keep the phone discussion here or in the other phone thread; I'd merge them, but it would interleave the posts.
jeffythedragonslayer

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

I lack the motivation to sit through such a long video. I was hoping for an explanation on why the photoelectric effect cutoff frequency suddenly stopped working.
unregistered

Re: new technologies for developing on NES

Post by unregistered »

Garth wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:15 pm Others keep touting the "indispensable" conveniences of a smartphone.  To me, they're not worth putting up with the surveillance
note: iPhones have a way to monitor “surveillance”. If a tiny orange dot appears at the top of the phone, that alerts that the microphone is activated/being used. If a green dot appears in a close location below, or in the same spot, where the orange dot would appear, that alerts that a camera is activated. If those tiny dots are invisible, then the microphone and cameras are NOT being used.

So, then it becomes a matter of which apps you dl and use. Use the wrong ones and, yes, surveillance on iPhone is possible. But, the App Store clearly describes technical aspects of every new/updated app they provide access to. Just read about apps before obtaining them, is my tiny advice. :) The App Store comment section can also be helpful in this regard.

EDIT: My sister has a Samsung phone. The same day she obtained it she put a piece of masking tape over the front camera. And she refuses to dl an app. But, she can use a cell phone. :) It is necessary for job application.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I mean it's not like the smartphone maker can't mess with the phone so that the camera can be turned on without the LED lighting up in order to do surveillance.
Information is worth a lot of money and there are companies that focuses on gathering this and selling to other companies. And basically any information gathered about you can be used against you if it falls in the hands of your enemies.

So in other words all those old science-fiction novels has finally become real, except the robots and flying cars, only the boring stuff.
unregistered

Post by unregistered »

True… true. Yes, the maker can work around the technology they create, but I trust Apple. :) Kind of like I trust Nintendo; I’ve agreed to their user agreement and have a Nintendo online account.

They both have made great products that I really enjoy. (That’s NOT why I trust them. :))