What does "CIRAM" stand for?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

jeffythedragonslayer

What does "CIRAM" stand for?

Post by jeffythedragonslayer »

I guess that the "RAM" part stands for "random access memory," but what about "CI?" Definitely not "continuous integration." It's surprisingly hard to find an acronym expansion for this term for how many times it appears on the wiki.
Dwedit

Re: What does "CIRAM" stand for?

Post by Dwedit »

No idea, but "Console Internal" fits.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
jeffythedragonslayer

Dwedit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:45 pm No idea, but "Console Internal" fits.
Agreed. On this page it's more obvious the need for the term:

https://www.nesdev.org/wiki/NES_2.0_Mapper_512
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

jeffythedragonslayer

Fiskbit wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:10 pm Console-internal RAM.
Ooh that is a definition that I like.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

I've also seen "Character Internal RAM", at least in one of Kevtris's old documents.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah I also always thought C meant character (but I had no idea what "I" stood for). "Console Internal RAM" sounds like a very modern term to me as "console" was seldom used for video games before around year 2000 in my experience.

I guess this is the Kevtris document mentioned above. It sounds here like he coined CIRAM himself (unless Nintendo coined it) with the meaning of "Character Internal RAM" for the 2 kB of video memory at $0000-$1FFF. But character memory is always external found in the cartridge and never internal to the console on the NES so I don't get what's meant by internal. Character memory is also 8 kB.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

In that document, kevtris is clearly using CIRAM to refer to the console's internal 2 KiB of VRAM, which can be mapped to an arbitrary* location by the cartridge (or disabled altogether) using pin 57. His references to it being in the range $0000-1FFF seem wrong; it is almost never there, as it is usually used for nametable RAM in the region of $2000-2FFF (and mirrored up through $3FFF). 'Character' is usually, but not always, used to refer to the region $0000-1FFF, and CIRAM can be used for character RAM, or nametable RAM, or a combination, or whatever.

I don't know if kevtris or that specific document are the source of the CIRAM terminology. Personally, I am only familiar with it as standing for console-internal RAM. On the wiki, CIRAM was included with the glossary when the page was created in 2010, but it wasn't expanded to anything until 2016, when Myask added 'Console-internal RAM'. Internal is really the keyword here, and while it would've been nice for this to reference explicitly that it is video RAM (such as IVRAM for internal video RAM), I don't think CIRAM is a particularly confusing term, just maybe hard to guess.

* CIRAM is connected directly to PPU A9-0, which puts some limitations on how it can be mapped.
jeffythedragonslayer

With a date as early as '97 on that document, I'd lean more towards "Character," but they both work.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

I see, thanks for explaining.
So CIRAM is basically the PPU's dedicated 2 kB of RAM, usually called VRAM. Though the term VRAM is also, kinda strangely, used (by Nintendo themselves nonetheless) for the entire PPU address space $0000~$3FFF, including the palette (which physically doesn't reside in the CIRAM chips but in the PPU chip itself) and the cartridge's pattern table (which is often ROM and not RAM).

Yeah I really doubt the C originally meant "console", but it makes more sense than "character" which normally refers to the pattern table, so I guess it's a good backronym.

On the other hand the 2 kB main WRAM is also console internal SRAM.
aquasnake

Post by aquasnake »

ciram means the internal chr-ram which locates in the console, usually it act as ntram or vram. And on the hardware schematics, it can be controled by PPU_/A13.

Most PCBs of cart directly connect PPU_/A13 with CIRAM_CE

So CIRAM was an offical term
aquasnake

Post by aquasnake »

the internal workram from $0-$7FF, i call it iram

and the workram at $5xxx i call it xram

so $6000-$7fff still workram, with the term of wram

and $8000-$DFFF, i call it the alternative pram
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

If Nintendo coined it, the C is very likely standing for "Character", referring to "character nametable" or something like that since the character ROM/RAM is always external on the Famicom.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

I don't see the term CIRAM in the PPU datasheet. On page 7, the entire address space is described under the heading "Video RAM (VRAM)". The $0000-$1FFF address range is labelled "Character ROM", the $2000-$3FFF address range is labelled "BG.ROM+BG.Color".

Of course, it might still be that a service manual of the console that covers the HVC-CPU-xx circuit board would describe the 2 KiB RAM chip as CIRAM.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

aquasnake wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:21 am ciram means the internal chr-ram which locates in the console, usually it act as ntram or vram. And on the hardware schematics, it can be controled by PPU_/A13.

Most PCBs of cart directly connect PPU_/A13 with CIRAM_CE

So CIRAM was an offical term
Where exactly did you see the label "CIRAM_CE"? Was it on a cartridge, inside a console (NES or Famicom), or in a service manual of some sort?
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.