FamiStudio - Has anyone used it?

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

NeverCameBack

FamiStudio - Has anyone used it?

Post by NeverCameBack »

2 years ago I stopped working on my NES game because I had such a hard time working with the NerdyNight's music engine + Famitracker.

It was like: I could write a song in FamiTracker. No problems here.
But then converting that into assembly in a way that the Nerdy Nights sound engine could play it?
I imagine I'd have to convert it note by note into their format. Unless I could come up with some other tool to convert it for me.
That was the point I fell off the wagon on my project.

I just downloaded FamiStudio, and was wondering if anyone knows if that lets you export in an assembly friendly way - So that they either give you, or you could write your own music engine in assembly to play your songs?
Individualised

Re: FamiStudio - Has anyone used it?

Post by Individualised »

FamiTracker already has ways of exporting modules to "engine-friendly" formats. I don't think the Nerdy Nights sound engine is what you're looking for. There's much more suitable sound engines for this sort of stuff like FamiTone, that can read FamiTracker's text export format I believe.

I can't comment on the quality of FamiStudio since I don't use it; my more programming-oriented mind means I find trackers much more comfortable to use than DAW-style applications.
Mazin

Post by Mazin »

I was in that same place as you when making my first game, and famistudio saved my life.

I didn't have any experience making music before, so I could barely understand what I was making with just the note names in famitracker. Using famistudio it was a lot easier and faster to work with for me at least.

You can export your songs for the FamiTone engine, but the one that comes with famistudio is really easy to configure and add to any game, and you can remove features to make it as light in speed and size as you need. Music data size I cant say much since I havent used other engines to compare, but I was able to fit 8 minute-long songs, some sound effects and the engine in only 8kb for a 32kb game.
NeverCameBack

Post by NeverCameBack »

Awesome, thank you that is encouraging.
I really need to "refresh" on my game engine and all.
I only have the nerdy nights sound engine, which he wrote - and wasn't even 100% on the workings of it all.

When you exported from FamiStudio, did you have to write your own music engine in order to accept commands such as "play track 1" or "play sound effect 5" ?

Because I imagine FamiStuido would output you just a pile of text for each song or sound effect.
Mazin

Post by Mazin »

You can download an engine from the official site, which comes for NESASM, ASM6 and ca65, and then you just need to include it in your program.

Inside of it you will also find the subroutines you need to call to initialize it with any included music or sfx data, and to play any sound.
NeverCameBack

Post by NeverCameBack »

Mazin wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:38 pm You can download an engine from the official site, which comes for NESASM, ASM6 and ca65, and then you just need to include it in your program.

Inside of it you will also find the subroutines you need to call to initialize it with any included music or sfx data, and to play any sound.
Awesome I appreciate you telling me this.
I'm sure it would only aide me to write my own or fully understand the nerdynights sound engine, but I'll def try this out and see if this one makes more sense to me.