Help with this ripped PCB trace in my famiclone

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

ouso1999

Help with this ripped PCB trace in my famiclone

Post by ouso1999 »

Hi everyone
When I was using this old time famiclone I found it not working anymore then I disassembled it to see that there was a wire which needed to be resoldered and I tried connecting it and it worked gain but when I tried to solder it I tore the PCB trace by accident . Is there a way to get it fixed back ? Can I do something to make it work again ?
Like a sunset
Dying with the rising of the moon
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Re: Help with this ripped PCB trace in my famiclone

Post by krzysiobal »

Remove that ugly gray tape, suck all solder from the holes and solder two pin headers on both sides. This will improve mechanical strength. If there is some lifter pads, traces, use thin wire to fix it and do bridge soldering it to the pin header.
If most of the pins have lifted pads, you should glue the connector using got glue.

You can then solder wires to the pin headers (like on photo bellow),

but this will still give fragility against bending (unless you use heat shrinking tube:

Best way is to prepare yourself 4 pin ribbon cable to connect both connectors, using crimping tool This will give best durability against bending.
Image My website: http://krzysiobal.com | Image My NES/FC flashcart: http://krzysiocart.com
dink

Post by dink »

ouso1999,
Imagine that - they used bread ties for the wires :)

If you want an easy fix, scrape the green paint (solder mask) off the thin trace, then solder the wire to it. If you're not comfortable doing this, try to find a friend or someone who will do it. Of course, I would spend some time cleaning it up like krysiobal said if you are able to (need some skills for this)

best regards,
- dink
ouso1999

Post by ouso1999 »

krzysiobal wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:47 am Remove that ugly gray tape, suck all solder from the holes and solder two pin headers on both sides. This will improve mechanical strength. If there is some lifter pads, traces, use thin wire to fix it and do bridge soldering it to the pin header.
If most of the pins have lifted pads, you should glue the connector using got glue.

You can then solder wires to the pin headers (like on photo bellow),

but this will still give fragility against bending (unless you use heat shrinking tube:

Best way is to prepare yourself 4 pin ribbon cable to connect both connectors, using crimping tool This will give best durability against bending.
Thank you so much for your reply :) . wow I like the idea of using pin headers and pin ribbon cable to connect instead of the old weak ribbon wires .
but can I use pin header cable like those right a way .
https://www.amazon.eg/-/en/Yetaida-120p ... 9J67&psc=1
For example solder male to male cable to either side and the other one with male to female then connect the female to male in the middle

But you know the risky part is all considered in the lifted Pad . Would just thin wire work ? and what kind of wire ?
Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by ouso1999 »

dink wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:33 am ouso1999,
Imagine that - they used bread ties for the wires :)

If you want an easy fix, scrape the green paint (solder mask) off the thin trace, then solder the wire to it. If you're not comfortable doing this, try to find a friend or someone who will do it. Of course, I would spend some time cleaning it up like krysiobal said if you are able to (need some skills for this)

best regards,
- dink
Thank you for your response :) can't i do that without scraping the solder mask ?
actually I thought the device is already damaged but thank God you gave me hope guys . Thank you so much :)
Like a sunset
Gone too soon

I missed u dad

Post by dink »

It needs to be scraped because the mask (paint) won't allow the solder to stick to the copper trace. Just use a knife and take soft stokes on it going towards the lifted part until you see copper. Also don't forget to put a little flux on the exposed copper and wire end before soldering.

best of luck!
- dink