32 in 1 multicart PCB J-2099 dumping attempts

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

DoomJedi

32 in 1 multicart PCB J-2099 dumping attempts

Post by DoomJedi »

Hi,

I have this cart/PCB 32 in 1 - my beloved from the early 90s, and I "dream" to dump it using Anago WX, but failed so far.
http://krzysiobal.com/carts/?action=view&id=499
Maybe here I can get community help/support.

I recently bought this item (to dump and burn roms) and installed USB drivers well.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004398476858.html

This is proposed code by lidnariq:

Code: Select all

board <- {
  mappernum = 225,
  cpu_rom = {
    size_base = 0x100000, size_max = 0x100000, banksize = 0x8000
  },
  ppu_rom = {
    size_base = 0x80000, size_max = 0x80000, banksize = 0x2000
  },
  cpu_romsize = 0x100000, cpu_banksize = 0x8000,
  ppu_romsize = 0x80000, ppu_banksize = 0x2000,
  ppu_ramfind = false, vram_mirrorfind = false
};

function cpu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize) {
  for (local i = 0; i < pagesize; i += 1) {
    cpu_write(d, 0x8000 | ((i&31)<<7) | ((i&32)<<9), 0);
    cpu_read(d, 0x8000, 0x4000);
    cpu_read(d, 0xc000, 0x4000);
  }
}

function ppu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize) {
  for (local i = 0; i < pagesize; i += 1) {
    cpu_write(d, 0x8000 | (i&63) | ((i&64)<<8), 0);
    ppu_read(d, 0, 0x2000);
  }
}
But I get

reader open error
When I use some other anago scripts I get various errors:
When I run for example script "mapper_185" I get (notice - no "reader open error"):

AN ERROR HAS OCCURED [the index 'ppu_rom' does not exist]

CALLSTACK
*FUNCTION [dump()] dumpcore.nut line [22]

LOCALS
[ppuarea_memory] NULL
[vram] 1
[increase_ppu] 1
[increase_cpu] 11
[mappernum] 185
[script] "_mapper_185.ad"
[d] USERPOINTER
[this] TABLE
When I run script "63in1" I get:

reader open error

AN ERROR HAS OCCURED [the index 'ppu_rom' does not exist]

CALLSTACK
*FUNCTION [dump()] dumpcore.nut line [22]

LOCALS
[ppuarea_memory] NULL
[vram] 0
[increase_ppu] 1
[increase_cpu] 11
[mappernum] 130
[script] "_63in1.ad"
[d] USERPOINTER
[this] TABLE
Any...ideas what doesn't work with the script and what could be the right script/way to dump my beloved multicart?

krzysiobal

Re: 32 in 1 multicart PCB J-2099 dumping attempts

Post by krzysiobal »

1 What operating system are you using?
2. Can you show screenhoot from the Zadig program?
Image My website: http://krzysiobal.com | Image My NES/FC flashcart: http://krzysiocart.com
DoomJedi

Post by DoomJedi »

krzysiobal wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:19 pm 1 What operating system are you using?
Windows 10 Education 64 bit.
2. Can you show screenhoot from the Zadig program?

DoomJedi

Post by DoomJedi »

As a test - tried to dump licensed "Star Soldier" using the right mapper script.

Star Soldier (J)                32k PRG / 16k CHR       V       CNROM (3)
Still getting "reader open error"

krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

I never had Kazzo nor used anago program, but this message ("device open error") suggests that there is problem with USB communication. Application on PC side tries to send some USB packets to the microcontroller in Kazzo but it does not get a response thats satisfies it. Either there is something wrong with the microcontroller firmware (maybe you should reflash it?
AVR with USB has USB bootloader option)

or mismatch between the protocol on PC and AVR side (firmware vs software mismatch) - try using different version of the program on PC side?

Is it exactly the same PCB like on the original hardware that was meant to work with the anago application or some aliexpress clone with modifications?
Image My website: http://krzysiobal.com | Image My NES/FC flashcart: http://krzysiocart.com
DoomJedi

Post by DoomJedi »

krzysiobal wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:18 am maybe you should reflash it?
This is total lack of support for this board so I can't even imagining reflashing it.
try using different version of the program on PC side?
I'm using the latest version and it's from 2010. Which by itself says alot sadly.
Is it exactly the same PCB like on the original hardware that was meant to work with the anago application or some aliexpress clone with modifications?
Well, I bought it from Aliexpress (and even linked to the product - in first post). So I guess it's "aliexpress clone", but it links directly to Anago and Kazzo latest versions and so claims to be compatible. It even shows the "anago wx" gui menu on product page and

Feedbacks are little but varied. Some good ones - but lack detail and working photos, some are unhappy with lack of support by the seller. One bad one - again mostly focusing on it not working while having no support for it.

This is what you get from buying from AliExpress I guess :cry: Money wasted.
I'm frustrated and really close to give up sadly on my rom dumping/burning "career" before it even started.
Just wanted too much to dump my beloved multicart... :cry:
Last edited by DoomJedi on Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
krzysiobal

Post by krzysiobal »

DoomJedi wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:29 pm This is what you get from buying from AliExpress I guess :cry: Money wasted.
I'm frustrated and really close to give up sadly on my rom dumping/burning "career" before it even started.
I see a lot of different versions of those kazzos on the internet, some with qfp44 atmega, some with dip40, some with SMD SO20 74574, some with DIP20, some with 2 buttons, some with one, some with micro usb, some with regular USB.
Tons of different pcbs, no idea what's the compatibility amongs them.
If I were you, I would reverse enginner connections on your kazzo board and write my own firmware and software.

To reprogram atmega you would probably need external USBASP programmer (unless there is some bootloader already preprogrammed so you can use existing USB port to reprogram it).

Unfortunatelly, black (or white) soldermask is the largest enemy here.
DoomJedi

Post by DoomJedi »

I've written to the seller, he asked for my email, so I guess I'll get more detailed support from him.
Let's hope that a guy who knows how to operate it (according to seller's page) can help me to solve this.
DoomJedi

Post by DoomJedi »

aquasnake wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:45 am viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14737
Alot of useful information/analysis, thanks :)
No exactly same PCB but similar.
Also my PCB is fully working (moreso - ordered another similar cartridge, on the way).

So, the proposed script looks okay in that context?
How I can use [chr] and [prg] in my case?

Meantime trying/hoping to get support from the Kazzo seller over whatsapp.
aquasnake

Post by aquasnake »

For dumping only, the script of mapper 225 can be shared
André Giroux

Post by André Giroux »

aquasnake wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:22 am For dumping only, the script of mapper 225 can be shared
Like you, I bought the same ROM dumper from Ali Express... as you noticed in the photo of the Anago application... you have error messages... and it indicates that the cartridge that you inserted was not correctly connected to the Kazzo dumper...that's the problem. This happens to me sometimes..and then I clean the cartridge contact..and when I try a second time I succeed to extract the Rom 🙂
DoomJedi

Post by DoomJedi »

André Giroux wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:58 am
aquasnake wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:22 am For dumping only, the script of mapper 225 can be shared
Like you, I bought the same ROM dumper from Ali Express... as you noticed in the photo of the Anago application... you have error messages... and it indicates that the cartridge that you inserted was not correctly connected to the Kazzo dumper...that's the problem. This happens to me sometimes..and then I clean the cartridge contact..and when I try a second time I succeed to extract the Rom 🙂
Well, I tried different cartridges (with numerous attempts on each), cleaned, always working cartridges, it was < always > the same message.

...I have since found the dump of that 32 in 1 cartridge (well, that menu at least) dumped by someone else (was hard to find though), so I can play it now on my retropie (on raspberry pi 4 and on orange pi 5) :)