How was this done?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

lillapojkenpåön

How was this done?

Post by lillapojkenpåön »

I recently saw a video that featured a cool looking NES game called Kingdom Crisis, it had a nice smooth camera, the kind you usually use linear interpolation to achieve, and I found an 8-bit lerp funcrion on SO
(A*(256-X)+B*X) /256

I tried to implement it in a game, but unlike the modern platforms that I've used lerp/floating point with before, this one doesn't seem to change speed based on the distance, am I suppose to change X based on the distance between center of camera and playerX?

Another difference is that on those modern platforms playerX just keeps increasing, on a 8-bit system you would need to scroll playerX back so it doesn't roll over, Ive tried alot of things but I can't get the camera to change speed and catch up to the player, does anyone have any experience with implementing smooth camera on a 8-bit system?
Controllerhead

Re: How was this done?

Post by Controllerhead »

Yes, you can use another byte for X and Y camera values for 256 subpixels, and the math is super quick; even a nibble of 16 subpixels can smooth it out decently, but you'll have to do some shifting every frame. Floating point is very slow.
lillapojkenpåön

Ok, I'm using 16 bits now, should I include playerX fraction in the calculation too? Do I need to change something else because I just have a glitchfest deluxe, I fell thru the floor..
Here's what it looks like now

Code: Select all

temp1 = (#cameraX / 256)    'remember camera pos int
#cameraX = (#cameraX*(256-128)+#playerX*128) /256    'lerp between camera/player
scrollX = temp1 - (#cameraX / 256)    'get difference between old/new pos
fineScrollX = fineScrollX + scrollX    'scroll that distance, max 8
#playerX = #playerX + scrollX * 256    'scroll player too

and I init cameraX to 88 before that
#cameraX = 88 * 256
Controllerhead

Post by Controllerhead »

I mean, i don't know what the rest of your code looks like, so i couldn't say why you're having issues exactly; ...however i do see some #immediate values in #cameraX and #playerX that my gut tells me might not be correct...

Having two bytes as a "camera" position allows you to have a smooth scrolling camera, but it's up to you to implement it based on the rest of your code. You could have camera X/Y acceleration values and nudge them towards player position, for example...
lillapojkenpåön

Controllerhead wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:36 pm I mean, i don't know what the rest of your code looks like, so i couldn't say why you're having issues exactly; ...however i do see some #immediate values in #cameraX and #playerX that my gut tells me might not be correct...
Yeah I caught that right after posting.
Controllerhead wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 6:36 pm Having two bytes as a "camera" position allows you to have a smooth scrolling camera, but it's up to you to implement it based on the rest of your code. You could have camera X/Y acceleration values and nudge them towards player position, for example...
I allready had that before, I'm after a specific ramp up/ramp down camera using lerping.
lillapojkenpåön

Nevermind, it was alot easier than I thought
wonder

Post by wonder »

lillapojkenpåön wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:30 pm I recently saw a video that featured a cool looking NES game called Kingdom Crisis, it had a nice smooth camera, the kind you usually use linear interpolation to achieve, and I found an 8-bit lerp funcrion on SO
(A*(256-X)+B*X) /256

I tried to implement it in a game, but unlike the modern platforms that I've used lerp/floating point with before, this one doesn't seem to change speed based on the distance, am I suppose to change X based on the distance between center of camera and playerX?

Another difference is that on those modern platforms playerX just keeps increasing, on a 8-bit system you would need to scroll playerX back so it doesn't roll over, Ive tried alot of things but I can't get the camera to change speed and catch up to the player, does anyone have any experience with implementing smooth camera on a 8-bit system?
Hi there! Kingdom Crisis dev here! :D

Glad to know that you found a solution, there are indeed many ways of achieving this effect.
My camera code is a little bit messy due to optimization, but here's the relevant part:

Code: Select all

// Move the camera if it's off target
  diff_x = (camera.target_x - camera.x) - HALF_SCREEN;
  if (!diff_x) { camera.vx = 0; return; }

// Pre-calc the direction
  zp_SIGNED = sign_of(diff_x);
  zp_TMP = ABS(diff_x);

// Update the camera velocity (smooth camera)
  if      (zp_TMP <  2) camera.vx = zp_SIGNED * (!(frame % 13));
  else if (zp_TMP <  3) camera.vx = zp_SIGNED * (!(frame %  8));
  else if (zp_TMP <  5) camera.vx = zp_SIGNED * (!(frame %  5));
  else if (zp_TMP <  8) camera.vx = zp_SIGNED * (!(frame %  3));
  else if (zp_TMP < 13) camera.vx = zp_SIGNED * (!(frame %  2));
  else camera.vx = zp_SIGNED;

// Move the camera (follow the player sprite)
  camera.x += camera.vx;
  CLAMP(int, camera.x, CAM_MIN_X, CAM_MAX_X);
  camera.ox = camera.x + HALF_SCREEN;