Questions on the basics of getting music for a new project.

Discuss NSF files, FamiTracker, MML tools, or anything else related to NES music.

Moderator: Moderators

CooliStylite

Questions on the basics of getting music for a new project.

Post by CooliStylite »

Hey! I'm new to Nes game development and had a question concerning music. I'm currently the only creative on my current project, a fan game psudo-demake (which may or may not stay on NES, depending on navigating the hardware borders). I have a pretty good grasp on programming and sprite art, but have a tin ear when it comes to composing.

My question is how would you recommend I go about finding / commissioning music for my project? As this is a fan game, I don't intend (nor legally think I'm allowed) to make a profit on this endeavor, as such the budget is kind of low. This being said, I don't want to be exploitative with pay if I need to commission a few pieces.

What is the general process you guys follow for this? What would be a fair price to pay for an NES quality piece lasting a minute or two, composed to 3 sound channels, for this type of project? Any help would be very appreciated, Thanks!
randall/msl

Re: Questions on the basics of getting music for a new project.

Post by randall/msl »

hi. i can't give you a valid reply, but if you do search for a composer, just reply - i had been writing for quite a similar chip (SID) for years and i'd like to try 2a03 SERIOUSLY as well. you're looking for musician, i'm an experienced musician looking for chances to compose for projects and delve into the NES music scene.