Minimum required to test a standalone PPU video output

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

creaothceann

Re: Minimum required to test a standalone PPU video output

Post by creaothceann »

ArchieNash wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 1:30 pm The clock line seems to be tied high for some reason. It just eats whatever clock is thrown at it.
That (and the heating up part) probably means that there's a short somewhere in the chip.
Last edited by creaothceann on Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
ArchieNash

Post by ArchieNash »

Nope, there isn't a short between any of the pins (and also has stopped getting hot). I think I'm out of options here.

I know that some video chips of the 80s have FPGA replacements now but it doesn't look like there's been much work to reverse engineer the 2c02 (bar clones). Don't get me wrong there's a lot of documentation on it but not really any "drop in" replacements; at least none that I'm aware of.
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

ArchieNash wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:39 pm Nope, there isn't a short between any of the pins (and also has stopped getting hot). I think I'm out of options here.

I know that some video chips of the 80s have FPGA replacements now but it doesn't look like there's been much work to reverse engineer the 2c02 (bar clones). Don't get me wrong there's a lot of documentation on it but not really any "drop in" replacements; at least none that I'm aware of.
Somewhere in the chip. As in the chip die is damaged.
ArchieNash

Post by ArchieNash »

Individualised wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:51 pm Somewhere in the chip. As in the chip die is damaged.
That should've still been picked up by my multimeter (to my understanding).
Individualised

Post by Individualised »

ArchieNash wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:58 pm
Individualised wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:51 pm Somewhere in the chip. As in the chip die is damaged.
That should've still been picked up by my multimeter (to my understanding).
Not necessarily unless my understanding is severely flawed.