Nominate a game/demo for the upcoming Garage Cart(s)

The Membler Industries, Strangulation Games, and Strangulation Records forum.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Post by tepples »

Celius wrote:Yeah, actually The Game really could share the same PRG bank, since all together it's 6318 bytes. It uses CHR RAM, so the CHR data is included in that byte count. Am I correct in assuming that CHR RAM is supported? And also, does Tetramino use CHR RAM or ROM?
Tetramino uses CHR ROM. But a lot of multicarts such as 100-in-1 Contra Function 16 and Double Crossing: The Forbidden Four can run games that expect CHR ROM: they copy (or decompress) pattern tables into CHR RAM, put a trampoline in PRG RAM, and then jump to the game's reset vector. The CHR data and PRG data don't have to sit in the same bank.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

I actually have a 212-in-1 multicart with a ton of compressed (!!!) CHR ROM games, hacked to use CHR RAM. It even has some CNROM and MMC1 games on it, all of which will freeze for a few seconds (without turning the APU off -_-) to reload CHR RAM at points where the originals would have swapped CHR ROM banks. It's a pretty impressive feat of engineering by pirate standards. :P

It's not in the GoodNES set, although "150-in-1 (Mapper 43)" and "260-in-1" are exactly the same, with differing amounts of unique games and clones. It's worth checking out for the menu alone. :)

*kicks topic back on track*
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I'm using CHR-RAM right now, but I should've mentioned before that if anyone is using CHR-ROM, it's no problem to stick to it. I'll be compressing any/all tiles as possible, probably with simple RLE. Bankswitching is fine, but mid-frame (instant) CHR paging won't be doable on GC#2 (GC#1 actually did have 16kB of CHR-RAM, used on the titlescreen, but needlessly).

I can make an IRQ counter, but I'll have to use up the parts I have first. So it'll be later. I'm sure I can do it with one chip (maybe not exactly like MMC3). With all these interesting projects associated with it, I can make it happen eventually.

I remember Wraith, that was cool.
CartCollector

Post by CartCollector »

I can't find Wraith anywhere, including the GoodNES ROM collection. Does anyone have a link?
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

So wil this be a very exclusive release or more something everyone can buy? (kinda like glider ect now) How wil you sell it ect?
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Jeroen wrote:So wil this be a very exclusive release or more something everyone can buy? (kinda like glider ect now) How wil you sell it ect?
It will be a lot better available, because I'll be using parts that I'll be able to source when I need more. That was the problem with the first Garage Cart, one of the main parts is a little obscure.

To sell it, I'll be building them myself at home (not in a garage anymore, but in my basement, since I live in a new place) and selling them directly to anyone. But I still have people on a waiting list from years ago (not taking new entries currently), mostly people who bought the first one, and they'll all be getting first crack at the low serial-numbered ones.

I also have had an offer from a game store chain to carry it, I guess once ordering begins I'll see if I'm in any position to afford a quantity discount. More than likely I'll be the only source, shipping worldwide.

Also you can be sure that any profits I get from it are going back into my NESdev savings account.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Oh, Memblers. Sorry for all the last minute uploads, but here is the final version of The Game:

http://www.freewebs.com/the_bott/game.nes

I included a copyright and name at the bottom of the title screen. I also dithered the white blocks that made up the title, just as a last-minute touch up. Please put THAT version on the cart, if you put it on =).

EDIT: Any idea on what the cost will be for one of these?
Tom

Post by Tom »

CartCollector wrote:I can't find Wraith anywhere, including the GoodNES ROM collection. Does anyone have a link?
PDRoms seems to have taken down all their pages related to the competition it was entered in. I don't have anywhere to host it, perhaps we could it get on the main nesdev site?
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Tom wrote:
CartCollector wrote:I can't find Wraith anywhere, including the GoodNES ROM collection. Does anyone have a link?
PDRoms seems to have taken down all their pages related to the competition it was entered in. I don't have anywhere to host it, perhaps we could it get on the main nesdev site?
You could email it at (my username)@gmail.com
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I uploaded it here for now:
http://nesdev.com/incoming/
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Wraith is a really neat game, but it has some unforgiving and strange quirks -- not to mention no music.

It's not very fun how the ship starts of in the middle of the screen and the blink/invincible time isn't very long. The ship is also pretty sluggish. Aside from those and there not being any music, it's pretty nice. Also, the title logo could use a revamp.

Not at all disrespecting your game, but just wondering what you all think?
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

I agree about the starting out in the middle part. I usually live near the bottom of the screen on any game like this.

It is a cool game, it has a nice finished feel to it, complete with levels, little animations and stuff. The sound effects work, but without music there's a kind of an eerie silence. I would offer to do a soundtrack for it (heh, I already have songs I wrote for a non-existent space shooter), it would change the atmosphere of the game in a huge way and probably make it really weird.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Then make music out of the same kind of instruments used for sound effects. It worked for Hip Tanaka, composer of the Metroid soundtrack.
smkd

Post by smkd »

my 2 main criticisms with the game are that the collision detection seems very unforgiving (collision field feels much larger than the obstacles / bullets) and yeah the ship could stand to move a bit faster.
Drag

Post by Drag »

What are the memory limitations for the games to be included on the cart?