Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

lidnariq

Re: Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Post by lidnariq »

The problem with trying to dump it as BNROM is that BNROM itself only cares about the data bus, not the address bus, and that dumping script doesn't change the address bus. (Which is why the original script I gave you did. That 128KiB you got should be a good dump, I just don't know if it's already emulated somewhere)

I looked through FCEUX's source for "setprg32" - what this board is doing - and didn't find a lot that 1- used it, 2- ultimately used the address bus to specify the bank, and 3- used the correct bits to set the bank. It's not a long list that match all three.

So my best guess right now is that there isn't already a valid mapper for your hardware, and your only immediate solution is a minimal mapper hack ... or getting someone else to confirm that this is novel and to add support for this board to an emulator.

Feel free to PM me the dump if you want me to make the minimal mapper hack.
Zoldark

Post by Zoldark »

lidnariq wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:47 pm The problem with trying to dump it as BNROM is that BNROM itself only cares about the data bus, not the address bus, and that dumping script doesn't change the address bus. (Which is why the original script I gave you did. That 128KiB you got should be a good dump, I just don't know if it's already emulated somewhere)

I looked through FCEUX's source for "setprg32" - what this board is doing - and didn't find a lot that 1- used it, 2- ultimately used the address bus to specify the bank, and 3- used the correct bits to set the bank. It's not a long list that match all three.

So my best guess right now is that there isn't already a valid mapper for your hardware, and your only immediate solution is a minimal mapper hack ... or getting someone else to confirm that this is novel and to add support for this board to an emulator.

Feel free to PM me the dump if you want me to make the minimal mapper hack.
that does make sense as it has never been dumped before. I tried it on Messen and on it Mapper 61 acts just like Mapper 235 on FCEUX, and mapper 201 acts like mapper 61 did for FCEUX except that for on both for Mapper 201 it shows graphical shadows when playing PacLand.

Thank you for your advice, and help it is much Appreciated.

I did edit the MMC3 Script and got it to dump with just 128kb of PRG but it wouldn't come out with the same CRC32 that your Script does, and the resulting dump wasn't any good.

I guess we can add it to the database as the only known game that uses Mapper 61 for now until they come up with a solution for full emulation support of the Board, but I think there may be some more games that use the same hardware as there are some other Multicarts I have seen on Ebay that look very similar but all have 4 different games on them, but each one has 4 games just like this cart did. They call them Pegasus I think that is the clone system they come from. My Game doesn't have anything on the back of it though so I don't know what country it came from but that is more likely the system it came from and probably not from a Dendy.

Here is one of them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265776013594

The Pegasus Console
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_(console)

I don't know how they got the Pegasus in Argentina though.

I made a Mapper change of your Patched version as an extra for the one best result I had for the game that was Mapper 235 and it works exactly the same as your Mapper 61 Version I tried the other Mapper 201 too but it broke the game. Mapper 235 must be like a clone or is similar in someway to Mapper 61 or to this games board although it has room for extra chips and stuff. The game even works fully on VirtuaNes 97e but there is that dash in PacLand outdated emulation at it's best VirtuaNes used to be the best still is for somethings, But on FCEUX the game works 100 percent in it and there are no glitches, for Messen on PacMania it has a small glitch at the bottom of the screen when playing levels, they need to update it guess,.

Golden Gun 150 in 1
http://kevtris.org/mappers/bmc_nes/BTL_150in1A.html

That board surely doesn't look similar.

I wish I knew how you were able to patch it you must be like a genius of the NES.
I've studied iNes Mappers for several years and I can't even make a proper Mapper Hack. lol

Thank you..
Don't buy FamicomNes games WillyNilly Check the Mapper first
https://www.nesdev.org/wiki/Mapper
https://nescartdb.com/
I feel like I said something wrong even if I didn't I don't know for sure and I always feel bad about it.
willy_poodle

Post by willy_poodle »

Hello,
Does anyone have a working script for Camerica UOROM 256KB games?
I'm trying with the unrom.af included in the anago package and some UNROM and UOROM ones found on github but nothing works, the dumped files don't work.
GreyRogue

Post by GreyRogue »

willy_poodle wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:10 pm Hello,
Does anyone have a working script for Camerica UOROM 256KB games?
I'm trying with the unrom.af included in the anago package and some UNROM and UOROM ones found on github but nothing works, the dumped files don't work.
I believe UOROM pcbs have bus conflicts. To my understanding, Kazzo doesn't have a good way to handle this. You will probably need custom scripts for each game to be able to properly handle the bus conflict tables.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Camerica's UOROM variant (mapper 71) has no bus conflicts. If it had them, at least the Anago Kazzo normally overpowers ROM reliably enough to make bus conflicts unproblematic. The only exception I remember were Color Dreams (mapper 11) cartridges.
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

To work around bus conflicts generally, you can scan forward through the target register range in the current bank looking for the value you want. If you have don't-care bits (bits ignored by the mapper register), that increases the set of values you can accept.

If for some reason you can't find a match in a given bank, you could try switching to some other bank that you can get a match on and search that one.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

And provided that the bus conflicts are of the regular AND-type, you will not even need to find a ROM location that has the value you need; an address with an $FF byte will be entirely sufficient.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The default UNROM script tries to switch banks by writing to 0x8000.

However, Mapper 71 doesn't. For that, it needs to have those writes happen to 0xC000.
(Change cpu_write(d, 0x8000, i); to cpu_write(d, 0xC000, i);)
willy_poodle

Post by willy_poodle »

lidnariq wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:58 am The default UNROM script tries to switch banks by writing to 0x8000.

However, Mapper 71 doesn't. For that, it needs to have those writes happen to 0xC000.
(Change cpu_write(d, 0x8000, i); to cpu_write(d, 0xC000, i);)
I did but the dumped file still doesn't work and when compared to the downloaded rom it is very different. Some parts are the same but huge parts are different.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Please tell us which game you are trying to dump.
willy_poodle

Post by willy_poodle »

NewRisingSun wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:35 pm Please tell us which game you are trying to dump.
Well, it would be nice to have scripts working with all of them but I especially care for Dizzy The Adventurer to dump a repro that has a fixed ROM.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Sorry, I don't understand. You are dumping a repro of Dizzy the Adventurer, or you are trying to dump the original Aladdin Deck Enhancer with inserted Dizzy the Adventurer cartridge so you can make a repro of it? And what is a "fixed ROM"?
willy_poodle

Post by willy_poodle »

NewRisingSun wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:53 pm Sorry, I don't understand. You are dumping a repro of Dizzy the Adventurer, or you are trying to dump the original Aladdin Deck Enhancer with inserted Dizzy the Adventurer cartridge so you can make a repro of it? And what is a "fixed ROM"?
I'm dumping a repro which was modified not to crash when paused on clone consoles.
Zoldark

Post by Zoldark »

lidnariq wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:26 pm This board is likely not actually mapper 61 - mapper 61 can configure nametable arrangement at runtime, but here it's fixed. I didn't see anything that obviously was this board.

Depending on the exact addresses used by the game, it might work as mapper 34 or 241. It might also work as mapper 201, UNIF "EDU2000", or UNIF "NovelDiamond9999999in1"... maybe

The board is basically equivalent to BNROM (mapper 34) except it latches the address bus instead of the data bus.
I just redumped my game using your Mapper 61 Script but this time I changed the Mapper to 201 during the dump process and the resulting dump came out perfect it works the same as your Hacked Mapper 61 version except that Mapper 201 doesn't work for VirtuaNes.
Don't buy FamicomNes games WillyNilly Check the Mapper first
https://www.nesdev.org/wiki/Mapper
https://nescartdb.com/
I feel like I said something wrong even if I didn't I don't know for sure and I always feel bad about it.
DoomJedi

Post by DoomJedi »

Hi, new here, big retro gaming fan and NES/Famicom fan in particular.

I recently bought this item (to dump and burn roms) and somehow my windows can't find/install kazzo drivers for it.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004398476858.html

Would really appreciate your help, sorry if my question was answered before or is too basic.

...also a quick question...I know ROM is read-only, does to mean I can burn rom to that cartridge only once?