Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Discuss hardware-related topics, such as development cartridges, CopyNES, PowerPak, EPROMs, or whatever.

Moderator: Moderators

prfsnl_gmr

Re: Kazzo USB rom dumper / dev cart programmer

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

lidnariq wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:11 pm
93 - Fantasy Zone
viewtopic.php?p=215828#p215828
Again, I can't thank you enough for all of your help. I successfully dumped Don Doko Don, Fantasy Zone 2, and Megami Tensei. I have tried the 93 script, however, and I get this error:
Anago CMD Line wrote:AN ERROR HAS OCCURED [the index 'ppu_rom' does not exist]

CALLSTACK
*FUNCTION [dump()] dumpcore.nut line [22]

LOCALS
[ppuarea_memory] NULL
[vram] 1
[increase_ppu] 1
[increase_cpu] 11
[mappernum] 93
[script] "mapper93.ad"
[d] USERPOINTER
[this] TABLE
I tried fixing it by ham-fistedly inserting a "function ppu_dump line, but no matter what I try I end up with this error (or another like it). Thoughts? (This is a good learning experience for me, and I appreciate any hints you can offer me.)
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:37 am I have tried the 93 script, however, and I get this error:
Anago CMD Line wrote:AN ERROR HAS OCCURED [the index 'ppu_rom' does not exist]
Different versions of Anago used subtly different syntax, unfortunately. Try this:

Code: Select all

board <- {
mappernum = 93,
cpu_rom = { size_base = 131072, size_max = 131072, banksize = 0x4000 },
ppu_rom = { size_base = 0, size_max = 0, banksize = 0x2000 },
cpu_romsize = 262144, cpu_banksize = 0x2000,
ppu_romsize = 0, ppu_banksize = 0x2000,
ppu_ramfind = false, vram_mirrorfind = true
};

function cpu_dump(d, pagesize, banksize) {
for (local i = 0; i < pagesize; i += 1) {
cpu_write(d, 0x6000, i);
cpu_read(d, 0x8000, banksize);
}
}
The only difference should be the "ppu_rom" and "cpu_rom" lines.
prfsnl_gmr

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Awesome. It works. I added a } at the end, and I was able to dump Fantasy Zone, one of my very favorite games, without issue. I really cannot thank you enough for all of your help. This board contains a wealth of information!
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:22 am 95 - Dragon Buster
Mapper 95 should dump fine as though it were MMC3. Just change the header.
184 - Kanshakudama Nage Kantarou no Toukaidou Gojuusan-tsugi
viewtopic.php?p=206908#p206908
207 - Fudo Myouu Den
Use the Taito X1-005 script, and then change the header.
prfsnl_gmr wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:28 pm (Unfortunately, the vrc4b.ag script did not work for Ganbare Goemon Gaiden. When I tried it in NEStopia, it game me a "malformed mapper" message.)
How big was the file?
prfsnl_gmr

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

This is awesome. I will try all of this tomorrow. I really can’t thank you enough for all of your help. (I have tried and tried to make sense of these mapper scripts, and I still can’t make heads or tails of it.)

The issue with Kanshakudama... is weird. Your mapper 184 script worked like a charm for Mystery of Atlantis and Wing of Madoola. When I dump Kanshakudama..., however, the sprites come out OK, and I can play the game. The backgrounds are mostly absent, though, or rendered in large monochrome blocks. As far as I can tell, the game is identical to Mystery of Atlantis, mechanically; so, I’m not sure what’s going on with it. I’ve never tested this particular cart on actual hardware; so, it could be an issue with the cart itself.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:19 pm The issue with Kanshakudama... is weird. Your mapper 184 script worked like a charm for Mystery of Atlantis and Wing of Madoola. When I dump Kanshakudama..., however, the sprites come out OK, and I can play the game. The backgrounds are mostly absent, though, or rendered in large monochrome blocks.
Feel free to PM me the dump and I'll compare to a known-good thing and maybe there will be an obvious pattern as to what went wrong.
prfsnl_gmr

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I PM'ed a copy of my Kanshakudama ROM to you. I very much appreciate your thoughts on what might be going on with it.

I also successfully dumped Dragon Buster - thank you! - but when I dump Fudou Myou Den, I get a file that's only 24 KB. I also get a "CPU Jam!" message when I try to run it. I used a slightly modified mapper 33 script (i.e., a mapper 33 script with a mapper 207 header) to dump it, and I get the same result if I try dumping it with just the mapper 33 script.

My Ganbare Goemon Gaiden ROM is 256 KB, and when I use a header editing tool on it, it displays header 25. Nonetheless, when I try running it, I get a "malformed mapper" message. Thoughts on what could be going on there?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:29 am I PM'ed a copy of my Kanshakudama ROM to you. I very much appreciate your thoughts on what might be going on with it.
The CHR of the file I received has 16KB of all-$FF padding before the correct (publicly released) 16KB of CHR. What's weird about this is that I have no idea where the padding came from, because the pictures of the PCB show a 128kbit=16KB ROM - at least, the ones with a DIP ROM instead of a chip-on-board one. Maybe the chip-on-board ones are actually a 32KB ROM inside there. Or maybe the RP23128E treats its A14 pin as a +CE input and the Kazzo just happened to have $FF as its open-bus value.

If you look at the writeup about SUNSOFT-1 on the wiki: https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/INES_Mapper_184
I wrote that
The most significant bit of [the backgrounds] is always set in hardware.
This padding might make this the only game that relies on that.
Removing the padding will fix it.

Since slicing and dicing a NES file using a hex editor might not be something you're comfortable with, you can change the dumper script:
for(local i = 0; i < pagesize; i++){
to
for(local i = 4; i < pagesize; i++){
You might also need to change ppu_rom= { size_base = 0x8000, size_max = 0x8000, to instead be 0x4000.
prfsnl_gmr wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:29 am Fudou Myou Den, I get a file that's only 24 KB. [...] I used a slightly modified mapper 33 script (i.e., a mapper 33 script with a mapper 207 header)
The script for Taito X1-005, mapper 80; Not the script for Taito TC190, mapper 33.
My Ganbare Goemon Gaiden ROM is 256 KB, and when I use a header editing tool on it, it displays header 25. Nonetheless, when I try running it, I get a "malformed mapper" message. Thoughts on what could be going on there?
Oh I see, Nestopia requires that mapper 25 explicitly have a NES2.0 header, also. It needs to be submapper 2.
prfsnl_gmr

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I struck out! I get an error message when I make updates to the mapper 184 script, and while it's 256 KB now, I get a "CPU Jam!" message with my Fudou Myou Den ROM. Nonetheless, my experience here has been successful beyond all of my hopes when I signed up for this board, and I can't thank you enough for all of your help and guidance. I can most certainly live with only physical copies of four games out of my beloved Famicom collection!
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:50 pm I can most certainly live with only physical copies of four games out of my beloved Famicom collection!
While you're certainly allowed to stop if you want to, I realized what I did wrong with Kanshakudama. Instead of the changes I told you, I should have instead said to only change
cpu_write(d, 0x6000, i); to cpu_write(d, 0x6000, i | 4);
It's harder to write code when you can't verify things even compile yourself, let alone make a correct dump.

For the other three:
Ganbare Goemon Gaiden
Major League Baseball
Please try these in another emulator.
Fudou Myouou Den
Please PM me the bad dump you have.
prfsnl_gmr

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’m not stopping! I’ll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
prfsnl_gmr

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Brilliant! It works! I now how a function dump of Kanshakudama...! Thank you again.

I tried Ganbare Goemon Gaiden and Major League in FCEUX, but I am getting the same result, unfortunately. (I also tried a bunch of other ROMs, and they all work fine in FCEUX. The only exceptions are Kid Dracula and Parodius, which are scrambled. Again, those play just fine in Nestopia; so, I'm not sure what's going on with them.)

I will PM you my dump of Fudou Myou Den, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on it.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

prfsnl_gmr wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:28 am Ganbare Goemon Gaiden
What error do you get? You said that before Nestopia was giving you a "malformed mapper" message, but FCEUX should do something different.
Major League in FCEUX
Try Mesen or NintendulatorNRS ?
The only exceptions are Kid Dracula and Parodius, which are scrambled. Again, those play just fine in Nestopia; so, I'm not sure what's going on with them.
I assume you've hit Nestopia's hash-to-correct-headers database there, and your files have the wrong mapper indicated.
prfsnl_gmr

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

lidnariq wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:11 pm
prfsnl_gmr wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:28 am Ganbare Goemon Gaiden
What error do you get? You said that before Nestopia was giving you a "malformed mapper" message, but FCEUX should do something different.
Major League in FCEUX
Try Mesen or NintendulatorNRS ?
The only exceptions are Kid Dracula and Parodius, which are scrambled. Again, those play just fine in Nestopia; so, I'm not sure what's going on with them.
I assume you've hit Nestopia's hash-to-correct-headers database there, and your files have the wrong mapper indicated.
OK. I re-dumped the games, and I tried them in Mesen too.

For Ganbare Goemon Gaiden, the game loads, flashes different bright colors on the screen for a while, and then I get a "game crashed" message. For Major League, the screen flashes green and black with a pattern of some sort in the background, and after a while, I get a "game crashed" message. I get the same result in FCEUX, but without the message. I get the same result in NEStopia for Major League, but for Ganbare Goemon Gaiden, I get the "unsupported or malformed mapper" message. Again, these are new dumps; so, they don't reflect me messing around with the headers. (The old dumps, after messing around with the headers and sub-headers, gave me the same results in FCEUX, but I was at least able to get Ganbare Goemon Gaiden to the flashing colors screen on NEStopia by adding a sub-header to it.)

Kid Dracula and Parodius work just fine in Mesen too, and the image information reflects the right mapper. I think, perhaps, FCEUX just has a hard time with them.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

At this point you may as well PM me all the problematic dumps and maybe I'll be able to figure out what is going wrong.