Need Help Dumping Nintendo Campus Challenge Reproduction

Discussion of hardware and software development for Super NES and Super Famicom. See the SNESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
  • For making cartridges of your Super NES games, see Reproduction.
qwertymodo

Re: Need Help Dumping Nintendo Campus Challenge Reproduction

Post by qwertymodo »

I'll throw my hat in the ring for dumping if other options fall through. I can either do cart-edge dumping (with full customization, I basically built my own Retrode clone and I can reprogram it however I want), or desolder and dump the chip directly (I have all of the equipment to do so properly). As for the SA-1 CIC thing, I'm pretty positive you just need the 21.477MHz clock (or maybe it's divided to 10.7MHz for the SA-1, but honestly for an application like the Retrode, you don't need any kind of clock domain synchronization, so you could probably throw an 8MHz clock in there and call it good) on pin 1 of the cart edge. I just haven't gotten around to trying it :/
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

> I'll throw my hat in the ring for dumping if other options fall through.

d4s already dumped it. God, it's so frightening that this was 3.5 years ago. It feels like the previous page is only a year old to me.

What's missing now is finding someone who isn't me that's willing to write a higan manifest for the game, and to possibly undo any modifications bunnyboy made to it (definitely want to restore the title screen; may need to restore the mapping hardware, or write new emulation code [which I wouldn't integrate into bsnes official])

But to be perfectly honest ... both CC92 and PF94 are boring as hell. Play them once (3 minutes long), and the novelty is gone. Like that awful Socks the Cat game, people only want this because they can't have it.

> As for the SA-1 CIC thing, I'm pretty positive you just need the 21.477MHz clock

Thankfully, the SNES-Tap looks to be infinitely more capable for creating a truly ubiquitous SNES cartridge dumping solution. I already have a library that dumps every licensed cartridge out there (even Sufami Turbo and BS-X Satellaview carts.) I'll probably extend it to produce working DSP dumps (with user-provided firmware where read-out is impossible.)

The CC92/PF94 boards have their own unique mapping hardware. I do know how to dump these carts once they're on the SNES bus, but there's not really a point. There's only two of each in existence, and unless you have $15,000+, you aren't going to get your hands on one.
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

qwertymodo wrote:I'll throw my hat in the ring for dumping if other options fall through.
I, too, can dump pretty much any cart. I simply installed a SNESCIC-lock (the SuperCIC's predecessor) in my SWC DX2 years ago, and use a scanner cable connected to the parallel port of an old XP machine with ucon64 as the software. Works great! :D

byuu wrote:Thankfully, the SNES-Tap looks to be infinitely more capable for creating a truly ubiquitous SNES cartridge dumping solution.
Agreed. :)
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Unofficial SNES PowerPak firmware
(See my GitHub profile for more)
skaman

Post by skaman »

I've built a shield for the Arduino Mega 2560 that can dump all of the different enhanced chip carts (CX4, OBC1, SA-1, SDD1, SPC7110, S-RTC, ST010/011/018, SuperFX). The shield layout is by sanni. I modified the shield with a snesCIC/SuperCIC and a clock generator module for the Master Clock, CPU Clock and CIC Clock. More info here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=158974.0

I'm currently struggling with getting the Nintendo Power cart to reliably switch from menu mode to game mode when attached to the reader. But I digress.
Last edited by skaman on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Near
Founder of higan project

Post by Near »

Wow, I'm impressed you guys can both dump even Star Ocean (S-DD1)

Not only does it need a valid CIC to unlock (hooray SuperCIC, too bad Matthias never figured out how to use it), but you also have to manually page in the extra banks to dump all the data, which pretty much requires doing specialized writes to certain locations on the cartridge between your reads. Dumping FEoEZ (SPC7110) requires bank switch writes as well. And dumping one of the MMX games fully (Cx4) requires writing to a certain register first.
qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo »

byuu wrote:> I'll throw my hat in the ring for dumping if other options fall through.

d4s already dumped it. God, it's so frightening that this was 3.5 years ago. It feels like the previous page is only a year old to me.
What the what? I swear this was like the 3rd post when I replied to it, didn't mean to necrobump like that. Dunno what happened there. Sheesh -_-
Ramsis

Post by Ramsis »

byuu wrote:Wow, I'm impressed you guys can both dump even Star Ocean (S-DD1)

Not only does it need a valid CIC to unlock (hooray SuperCIC, too bad Matthias never figured out how to use it), but you also have to manually page in the extra banks to dump all the data, which pretty much requires doing specialized writes to certain locations on the cartridge between your reads. Dumping FEoEZ (SPC7110) requires bank switch writes as well. And dumping one of the MMX games fully (Cx4) requires writing to a certain register first.
Now that you mention it, I don't think I ever tried dumping either Star Ocean or Tengai Makyō Zero (both of which are part of my physical game collection) as my main goal in upgrading my DX2 was the prospect of being able to upload/download game saves (SRM) to/from physical carts like (most importantly) Super Mario RPG.

In any case, ucon64 offers a wide variety of flags (for dumping GSU/SA1/S-DD1/SPC7110/Cx4 games) that should do the trick--provided that access to the game ROM is unlocked previously, which my DX2 mod takes care of. :)

So yeah, I feel like I might try dumping Star Ocean and/or Tengai Makyō Zero in the near future, if only to see if ucon64 works as expected or not. :D
Some of my projects:
Furry RPG!
Unofficial SNES PowerPak firmware
(See my GitHub profile for more)
marioxb

Post by marioxb »

So I know this topic is a few years old, but I'm not sure where else to post. I just downloaded the Campus Challenge roms from here and ran them through Icarus and renamed them as program.rom and slot1-3.rom and all that. I even applied the patches here:

https://helmet.kafuka.org/byuubackup2/v ... t=987.html

to "fix" the title screen and get the proper SHAs for the 3 games. However, with and without the patches applied, Pilotwings is very glitchy and unplayable. Yes I have the dsp roms in the "Game Pak" as well. I can get the regular Pilotwings rom (and JJ's Powerfest 94) working in Higan 106 just fine, however the NCC version looks like this:

Played via NCC (after F-Zero of course):

Standalone:

Why is this happening? I tried redownloading and re-everything, but nothing works.

P.S. If anyone would like to share the million point version of scoring.sfc for Powerfest 94, or at least come up with a patch that changes the 10,000 to a million points (even if not authentic), that would be awesome. Ditto for the NES Campus Challenge.
Anuskuss

Post by Anuskuss »

marioxb wrote:So I know this topic is a few years old, but I'm not sure where else to post. I just downloaded the Campus Challenge roms from here and ran them through Icarus and renamed them as program.rom and slot1-3.rom and all that. I even applied the patches here:

https://helmet.kafuka.org/byuubackup2/v ... t=987.html

to "fix" the title screen and get the proper SHAs for the 3 games. However, with and without the patches applied, Pilotwings is very glitchy and unplayable. Yes I have the dsp roms in the "Game Pak" as well. I can get the regular Pilotwings rom (and JJ's Powerfest 94) working in Higan 106 just fine, however the NCC version looks like this:

Played via NCC (after F-Zero of course):

Standalone:

Why is this happening? I tried redownloading and re-everything, but nothing works.

P.S. If anyone would like to share the million point version of scoring.sfc for Powerfest 94, or at least come up with a patch that changes the 10,000 to a million points (even if not authentic), that would be awesome. Ditto for the NES Campus Challenge.
Read the first post in that link you posted :roll:
Sorn

Post by Sorn »

Hello all.

I am the owner of 1 of the 2 SNCC 1992 original carts. I am providing this dump as I was made aware this particular rom is MIA and would love to see people get excited about high scoring on this the same way a community has been built about scoring on the 1990 NWC.

I am providing 2 mirrors but in the case that they go down you can reach me sorntor at the regular google mail domain. Feel free to shoot me a email and I can update links or provide a copy.

https://mega.nz/file/2wcRDR5C#X91sSA5sF ... xRPHi_O16c

https://filetransfer.io/data-package/Gp8iOmHb#link
creaothceann

Post by creaothceann »

You can attach files up to 4 MB per attachment:
Attachments
SNCC-1992.zip
(964.39 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
My current setup:
Super Famicom ("2/1/3" SNS-CPU-GPM-02) → SCART → OSSC → StarTech USB3HDCAP → AmaRecTV 3.10
Sorn

Post by Sorn »

creaothceann wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:47 am You can attach files up to 4 MB per attachment:
Perfect, thanks a lot!