New game - Driar

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Yggi

Post by Yggi »

Zepper wrote:Works with Nintendulator (prints unofficial opcodes)
It works somehow, but the frame rate is about 25-30 fps. And the sound is weird, too. Same for FCEUX.

Btw, Nice game.
I made it to Level 16 in my first attempt and to Level 17 in my second attempt.
But I played the whole game with B-Button pressed. Maybe I should try to play it slower and more careful next time.
jayminer

Post by jayminer »

Thanks for all the comments!

About the unofficial opcodes, and as already mentioned, they run just fine on real hardware, so I'd say any emulator that has a problem with them is broken. Our main concern was making it run fine on a real NES, both PAL and NTSC.

The game works fine in Nestopia, FCEUX and Nintendulator.

And about flag 9 in the iNES-header, as thefox already pointed out, it sets that it's a PAL game. Most emulators just ignore this, but it seems to work as it should in Nestopia atleast. If you'd like to play it in NTSC speed you can just choose NTSC in the emulator.
tepples wrote:From the manual:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/3.0/
It looks like you don't want people selling reproduction cartridges of this.
If someone would want to make a reproduction cartridge, just contact us and I'm sure we will be easy to deal with. :)
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

jayminer wrote:About the unofficial opcodes, and as already mentioned, they run just fine on real hardware, so I'd say any emulator that has a problem with them is broken.
Broken, eh? Me gusta. :)
And about flag 9 in the iNES-header, as thefox already pointed out, it sets that it's a PAL game.
Well, true... quote from the Wiki:
Though in the official specification, very few emulators honor this bit as virtually no ROM images in circulation make use of it.
Denine

Post by Denine »

The game is rather easy.I got to the 26th level on my first run, and beaten game on third.Warp around makes game easier.
I really liked the graphic style, the idea of using simple meta tiles to fill the background instead of leaving it empty.
Overall-Great game.Congratulations.
miker00lz

Post by miker00lz »

lovin' this game! good work. i'm a bit stumped on level 13 though. maybe i'm slow since everybody else seems to have gotten to later levels, but i'm not sure how to get to the platform above here.

EDIT: yes, i am slow. i figured it out! -_-
miker00lz

Post by miker00lz »

this game reminds me a lot of the old DOS game Jetpack, except without the jetpack. it IS a bit too easy though. still fun as hell.
Zack S

Post by Zack S »

Very nice game. I think I just filled a whole cemetery with all the guys I just killed. I really like how you managed to create so many unique levels.
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Looks like the website is down. Gotta love reliable hosting...

*looks like it's back up
GradualGames

Post by GradualGames »

This is a really charming game. Great music, simple and fun gameplay. Great job guys.
thefox

Post by thefox »

infiniteneslives wrote:If I'm not mistaken, it appears that you can turn "turbo" speed on and off whist in the air. Frustrating and difficult to master but a neat physics approach IMO. Is there any other game out there that does this?
I'm pretty sure SMB does this as well, it's just much less pronounced.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
jayminer

Post by jayminer »

Now there are labels for both NES and Famicom, if someone for some reason would want to make their own cart with Driar.

Huge thanks to Jonas Hortell for these!

I will update the zip file to include these in the future but for now they can be found here.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I finally played the game a bit and I really like it. But is there any chance you might make a version that plays at closer to the intended speed on NTSC systems? Both music and gameplay. I don't have a PAL system, and it'd be more fun to play on a real console than an emulator.

But it's a nice game.
jayminer

Post by jayminer »

Hmmm...

I might check into making an NTSC version, fixing the music shouldn't be all that hard since MUSE is awesome and would do all that work for me :) But the speed in the game might be a bit harder, maybe I should try and do what I noticed Shiru did with Alter Ego - and just make every fifth frame be displayed twice. Shouldn't be very hard to implement.

But as it is now, I don't think playing it in NTSC is that much of a problem, it works quite well in it's speedier format and the music sounds quite okay as well.
-----
slightly bored and severly confused...
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

The music was the main thing that bothered me. It's very noticable the music is running faster. The gameplay speed probably wouldn't be so much of an issue, even without any attempt to adjust it.
jayminer

Post by jayminer »

I very hastily recompiled the game with MUSE set to NTSC, seems to work but it is very untested and since I haven't touched the code for quite a while, I'm not sure if the muse-flags ever gets set anywhere else in the game which might set the engine to PAL again, but I played a few levels and it seems to be working just fine.

This "quick'n'dirty" NTSC version can be found here.
-----
slightly bored and severly confused...