New game - Driar

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Re: New game - Driar

Post by 3gengames »

I tried for about 10 mins after, I don't really know how to get it to happen. I just waited and started moving and that happened. I'm trying now to do it again, but can't get it. I'll let you know if I get it again.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

When you say "went all weird", what do you mean? Do you mean it scribbled bits of the star/spike animations everywhere? Palette changes? Something else?

My best guess right now is something scribbled over the unrolled code; if you can manage to tickle it again, you could try setting an execution breakpoint at $0896, for when it runs past the end.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Sure, I'll do that and see if anything touches the unrolled code. I didn't get it to trigger, but the game froze and it seemed the background was replaced with just striped tiles, they don't look like any I see in the PPU viewer. The game also froze it seemed. The sprites all displayed fine, although I don't know if anything was written over. But if I can get it to trigger I'll save state it and then keep messing with how to get it to work.
thefox

Post by thefox »

3gengames wrote:But if I can get it to trigger I'll save state it and then keep messing with how to get it to work.
Better to just record a movie while playing it. This way you only need to trigger it once, and can give the movie file for debugging.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

3gengames wrote:the game froze and it seemed the background was replaced with just striped tiles, they don't look like any I see in the PPU viewer.
Did it look like the right half of the nametable viewer?
Feel

Post by Feel »

Driar will be presented to a french audience composed of gamers next month in Nantes, France, during a one of a kind gaming evening experience where many unreleased, bootlegs, fan translated and homebrew games are gonna be presented and playable.

Just wanted to let you know ;)

http://feel-my-geek.com/
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I don't know, I was trying to play the game so instinctively with my own projects I press CTRL+R quick. But I tried for 10 minutes last night to re-trigger with savestates, couldn't get it, I'll keep trying soon.
jayminer

Post by jayminer »

Feel wrote:Driar will be presented to a french audience composed of gamers next month in Nantes, France, during a one of a kind gaming evening experience where many unreleased, bootlegs, fan translated and homebrew games are gonna be presented and playable.

Awesome! :)
-----
slightly bored and severly confused...
Feel

Post by Feel »

jayminer wrote:
Feel wrote:Driar will be presented to a french audience composed of gamers next month in Nantes, France, during a one of a kind gaming evening experience where many unreleased, bootlegs, fan translated and homebrew games are gonna be presented and playable.

Awesome! :)
I'll send you pics of the event, if you like.
jayminer

Post by jayminer »

Feel wrote:I'll send you pics of the event, if you like.
I would really appreciate that!
-----
slightly bored and severly confused...
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

3gengames hasn't been able to reproduce his bug, but I think this build will fix it. For it to trigger, it really required a particularly perfect combination of events. This build also doesn't assume CHR-ROM is read-only, so it can work in the Streemerz bundle. (Instead it scribbles over the unused nametable)
Attachments
DriarNROM(UE).7z
(16.08 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
Feel

Post by Feel »

So, last wednesday, Driar was presented (among other games) during a gaming evening I did with 20+ people and they all got hooked instantely.

More info here (but it's in French).
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

Wow, I'm impressed the game was cut down from 128K UNROM to 64K and then down the NROM! Pretty crazy.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

To be horrifically pedantic, the original was SGROM. I think they might have originally planned on having the world scroll around Driar and him fixed, hence using MMC1's single-screen mirroring.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Nice little game. A minor quibble I have is that like lives might as well have been hearts or something and dying should just be losing a heart with a bit of recovery time. The reset to start of level kinda hampers the flow a bit.

There could also be a lot more gameplay elements, like conveyors, barriers, switches, and so on. Driar 2? :D