Streemerz bundle

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Re: Streemerz bundle

Post by tepples »

infiniteneslives wrote:
tepples wrote:The ASCII encoded, NUL-terminated string "R.C.#1" is in the last bank. Change that to "#00001", "#00002", etc. Or does it have to be a single byte, not a string?
So do things push forward or push backwards? aka: Where do I delete from to fit in the extra digits or larger numbers?
Each of these strings has six characters:

Code: Select all

beta 4
R.C.#1
#5____
So you replace the whole "R.C.#1" with spaces ($20), then write the number in that area.
Does we need thefox to supply a multi version (with exit to menu) of the latest build of streemerz for us?
I think it's been patched such that a warm boot exits to the menu, just like all the other games have.
thefox

Post by thefox »

infiniteneslives wrote:Everything works on the final boards. BUT streemerz no longer supports exiting back to the main multi menu. The option isn't even there, so I'm guessing it's just an issue with integrating the mulit-version into the latest streemerz version.
tepples, you're using the wrong version. The v02 I released in fauxgame.com doesn't have any (real) differences when compared to the one with the QUIT option that I gave you privately, so you should use the one with the QUIT option.

(Obviously, remember to use the 2nd revision, i.e. streemerz-v02-multicart-02.zip package.)

Another thing: how do you plan to do the selling? I would like to reserve a copy for myself.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

thefox wrote:tepples, you're using the wrong version. [...] streemerz-v02-multicart-02.zip
Oops, my bad. I'll upload R.C.#2 as soon as INL can confirm that he can change the "R.C.#1" string in the ROM and have it still work.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

tepples wrote:Oops, my bad. I'll upload R.C.#2 as soon as INL can confirm that he can change the "R.C.#1" string in the ROM and have it still work.
Yeah makes a little more sense now, sorry for being dense ;)

I tested it out and should be good, I only ran it in an emu. I'm pretty sure the NES will convert acsii just as well.

I'm thinking having a #37/50. It'll fit exactly for two digit values.
thefox wrote:Another thing: how do you plan to do the selling? I would like to reserve a copy for myself.
I think it's fair to reserve copies for contributors. I think I mentioned it awhile back, but I will do whatever I have to do to ensure that contributors do have the opportunity to buy one. So even if there were some sort of issue I'd crank out a few more to ensure contributors could have a copy. The current plan is to sell them on my site. Once they are all ready to go, we'll announce the time the item will go live for purchase. Probably a Friday/Saturday that's more likely to be convenient for people.

If something happens to where they're all bought up in the first couple mins and there are a large number of people who didn't have the opportunity to buy them we'll come up with a plan to make more. There are a lot of variables and things to consider in this event, I figure we'll cross that bridge and discuss the plan when the time comes.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
thefox

Post by thefox »

tepples wrote:I think it's been patched such that a warm boot exits to the menu, just like all the other games have.
In hindsight this would have been easier and more consistent way to do it, but mehh, I already coded the QUIT option, so let's use that.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

Release Candidate #2 is attached. The only change was use of the multicart version of the big game.
Attachments
Streemerz_bundle_RC2.nes.zip
(246.87 KiB) Downloaded 6385 times
SkinnyV

Post by SkinnyV »

That look awesome, I wish I had not sold my Powerpak! Anybody want to take a stab at coding a mapper file for the Everdrive N8? :D

Update: Streemer Bundle should now be playable on the Everdrive N8 using the latest OS S3M5 update for those of you interested.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Any news?
infiniteneslives

thefox wrote:Any news?
Yeah sorry about not being so great on the updates, I've been holding back hoping to make one big saying I'm done with the official release date. Here's where I'm at right now:

I'm getting to the nitty gritty right now on the assembly. They are all done asside from soldering the jumpers and caps on the bottom side. I'm expecting to have that done this weekend. Additionally I have all the labels and have about half of them cut out by hand so far. I think it's reasonable acheiveable for me to be ready to go in two weeks.

There is only one minor item I just realized I'm missing the other day. The cases I got from Retrousb don't appear to have the screws included... I should open every last bag/case to verify they didn't shove them all in one case, but I couldn't find them when I looked in obvious locations...

So now is probably a good time to iron out the details on the release though. I want to hold off on the exact date until they are all fully assembled and ready to go though. Is there a desired time/day that we'd like to use for them to officially go on sale? I'm thinking something like 9pm on a Saturday E.S.T ?

Additionally i'd like to try and set up a way for contributors to have priority access, what do you guys think about that? I was originally thinking of setting up two separate items, one for check by contributors and another for general public. But if the contributors don't all buy a cart it gets messy on when/how to list the left-overs for sale. Perhaps I could just separate it by time. Last time I counted ~14 direct contributors IIRC. So maybe I could list up that limited qty and have a text feild entry for the contributors name/handle/game. Should probably make an official list if we're going to go this route. Thinking maybe contributors listed up for sale ~week prior, then general public the following week. That would give some time to resolve any issues and allow the contributors a good chance to get a copy.

As for the CIC's I got all the files needed from Jim's Cool, and should be able to support multi-region switching CIC that maintains last known good region. eightbitdreams hooked me up with a PAL NES mobo so I can test that out just to verify.

The only other detail is settling on a price. I'm thinking $35 U.S.D. with $6 shipping U.S. priority mail and $10 shipping intl 1st class.

I have all the BOM with my costs and will post them up with total expenses, but I don't have it on me at the moment. It all came out pretty close to my original estimate:

Assuming we sold all 50, after covering expenses prizes we'd have:
@$20 ~$175 earned
@$30 ~$675 earned
@$40 ~$1175 earned

Please speak now, or forever hold your peace on the pricing matters ;) If no one chimes in I'll just go with $35.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
thefox

Post by thefox »

$35 sounds good to me.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I think $40 is also fine, I don't really have a strong opinion about either price point. Or we can go $35 for the contributors and $40 to others, although personally I don't really care one way or another.
Last edited by thefox on Fri May 03, 2013 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

I think $35 is low, personally. I'm not a contributor but I'll definitely be interested in one when they're ready.
tepples

Post by tepples »

$35, as long as there's a second printing later. There are enough NAers who gotta catch 'em all that a second printing is likely to be worthwhile.
infiniteneslives

I like thefox's idea for $35 for contributors and $40 for general public (their contribution can be the extra $5 ;)

If we're wanting to do another run immediately following this it's in our best interest to charge $40. The total cost on the carts comes out to just under $12 with free assembly. For the most part I should be able to maintain the $12 cost on parts for another run, the only thing I can't be certain of is cost of cases and labels. We got ~$1 on cases and the labels were donated. Additionally the time I have available for assembly is very limited these days so I'll have to get someone to assemble them for me completely to prevent delays like we're seeing right now. If there's someone here who'd like to step up to the plate on that they're welcome to. But I've got some family members who have picked up the assembly task for me on my other boards, and I can get them to take on a second run of these without much issue. That'll cost us around $5-6 per cart including pcb assembly, casing/label, and handling of order to get it out the door. So basically what I'm trying to conclude is that the cost of a second run will be around $18-20 per cart at most. So another run of 50 will require another $900-1000 if assembly isn't free.

Now using that info on figuring out how much we want to charge this time around $12x50 =$600 total cart cost this time around. $175 prize payout for last compo starts us off at $775 in the hole. Selling them at $35 each brings in $1750 leaving us with $975 earnings. Upping the price to $40 would leave us with $1225 earned. If we wanted to have $35 for contributors and $40 for general sales it only 'costs' us up to ~$70, so we'd earn at least $1150. Personally I think we should take at least $200 of that and save it for next compo payout, which we could do and still have enough for another run of 50 carts. $35 across the board would be just about enough for another run of carts, but not much to spare.

Also I'd be interested to see what our plans are for another compo. That's really what we're driving to here, so it might be a good idea to 'advertise' the next compo as we're announcing the cart release. I think it'd be nice to offer some better prizes this time around, perhaps doubling the payout from the last compo.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I'd also like to reserve a copy for myself. The $35-40 prices sound fine to me.
-Tom
NESHomebrew
Formerly WhatULive4

Post by NESHomebrew »

Sounds good to me. Personally I'm just glad that a cart is actually being made. The first compo had a great turnout, and a great boost in the homebrew community. It'll be nice to see the homebrew sales make the contest self sufficient.

I don't think you should have to donate your time and effort, I may have missed it somewhere, but were you planning on donating your labour expenses?