Streemerz bundle

Moderator: Moderators

Roth

Re: Streemerz bundle

Post by Roth »

Well shoot, I had put $25 to add to my $10 in PayPal for this, but didn't realize it'd be an extra 6 bucks for shipping. It takes 3-5 days for money to get to my PP account and it just got in there today : / I hate to ask if you can hold it until I get my extra six bucks in there, but I will go ahead and ask that. Could ya? Sorry to be a pain in the butt. I probably can't make it to the bank until this afternoon or even tomorrow to put money in the bank.
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

Sent ya a PM Roth.

Tested the cart out on my fc moblie II clone this morning and it worked just fine. I'm guessing it'll work on any clone without issue. I've had these CPLDs tested on a few other clones without problem previously.

Only one thing I wonder though is about the implementation of illegal opcodes on clone systems. IIRC Streemerz uses them for the sound engine?
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Driar, too, since they both use MUSE.
infiniteneslives

Things got a little crazy after posting on NA, I've had to cancel a several purchases by non-contributors checking out with contributor carts. I've removed the contributor option from checkout. I've sent PM/emails to the remaining contributors. A few have replied expressing they don't plan on making a purchase. There are only a contributor carts left so if that you, just send me your paypal email and I'll send you an invoice for purchase.

I guess the good news is there is quite a bit of serious interest, so if we go forward with another run we could probably build up some substantial earnings. So hopefully they'll give us some motivation for an even better compo (this year???). Larger prizes, free carts for all 'greater than pong' competition entries?

I'm packing up purchases thus far by contributors, so those should be in the mail Monday morning and delivered next week for shipping within the U.S.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
infiniteneslives

Well we're down to under an hour now. I got a little excited for a second and did the time zone math wrong... ;) But I'm ready to go to paste up the Buy it now button. I think it will make it slightly faster if you're already logged into your paypal account. But I'd clear anything else you may have in your 'shopping cart'. If anyone is planning on purchasing other items I'd suggest clearing everything from you cart and just buy other items after the fact. I can give partial refunds to combine shipping of two separate purchases. Just be ready to checkout quickly via paypal. Hopefully things go as planned! :)

If you try to checkout and everything is sold out I have it setup to link to this post. So any updates on subsequent releases and such will bring people here for the most up to date info on such matters.
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

Yeah! I think I got one! My purchase went through. Looking forward to playing the game, and hopefully future new cartridge releases. Also, I just wanted to mention that I really liked the way you handled the limited edition run. Almost like a radio contest (first 50 callers wins! etc) exciting and more fair way to go about it imo.
infiniteneslives

5 min left and ~5 carts left.
incrediblehark wrote:Also, I just wanted to mention that I really liked the way you handled the limited edition run. Almost like a radio contest (first 50 callers wins! etc) exciting and more fair way to go about it imo.
Glad to see it was worked out well from the other end. I had fun hitting refresh on my end and watching them roll in! :)

EDIT: SOLD OUT in ~10min.
incrediblehark

Post by incrediblehark »

It was fun. Just wanted to give a +1 to RetroCollect.com, where I first found out about this yesterday (don't have too much time for forums anymore) then did the back reading on the project here and on your site. Anyway thanks again, and hope to see more stuff in the future! The dumper-programmer and flash carts look interesting too...
infiniteneslives

That is a neat little article, I wasn't aware of it. I linked to it as well, looks like we got a fair amount of internet traffic from that article.
tepples

Post by tepples »

So with such a quick sell-out, how long before you start taking preorders for a second run?
qbradq

Post by qbradq »

Wow...

Um, if there's another run, I'll pre-order :)
infiniteneslives

tepples wrote:So with such a quick sell-out, how long before you start taking preorders for a second run?
Good question, I'm kind of curious what you guys are thinking on this. I could get another run started pretty soon if we'd like. I've got some new grey cases on the way I could allot a number to for a re-run. I've got enough boards to get my assemblers started on a batch of 50-100 pretty soon, I just need to get parts. So I could get another batch together by the end of summer without much trouble on my end. We will have to pay a few dollars for assembly, but to make this easier I'd go with flash ROMs this time around. Plus this keeps me from delaying matters like I did for this release.

I've got to crunch all the numbers but original estimates were pretty close and it's safe to say we earned over $1000. I'll get the final numbers and itemized expenses on my part to show exactly what we've got to work with here after this post. I want to make things as clear as I can from my end. If everyone agrees with the plan I can use the money to get parts and get rolling on more carts asap.

I've got a few things floating around in my head. So I figure I'll just dump em all out and see what you guys think, feel free to naysay any of my thoughts here.

*Release options: We've got enough to cover getting started on another run, so if we/I can solidify a date the next run will start shipping later this summer part of me thinks we should consider listing another 50-100 carts right now for "pre-ordering" with payment. If things go as planned I should be able to start shipping pre-ordered carts by the end of August. If we're going for it, part of me thinks we should post the pre-sale right now to allow the people who didn't get one to jump on this follow on release asap. They may be uninterested if we come back 3 months later with a similar release.

My main concern for doing something like this though is how do the guys who wrote the games think about the idea. If y'all have any desire to solicit their game in cartridge we're kind of taking away from their ability to actively do so with our repetitive/continued release of their work. So at a minimum I think we should allow each contributor the opportunity to retract their game. Everyone agreed the the run of 50 carts, we can't just assume you're cool with us continually taking their work to the bank. Part of me thinks the contributors should be reimbursed, but this gets way too messy and starts to stray away from our original goal. So if the contributor wants reimbursement for their work they always have the choice to contact us and have their game removed for future releases. This is probably the most respecting way we can handle it. Thoughts?

*Boxes/manuals: We've talked about it, but never put forth the effort. This is something we could do that would sell as well for the collectors. After dealing with the pain of cutting these labels by hand, I've found someone who can get us pre-cut labels, high quality manuals, boxes the whole bit if we want. I think it'd be nice to offer these as well. I'm also curious about cart sleeves. I think the best way to sell this if we do, is a separate purchase option similar to how retrozone does. Some people don't want to spend money on boxes and manuals, so do.

*Competition: We need to get some details ironed out on our plans here. I think we should solidify a timeline for the next compo and all the details asap. This was one of the main reasons for this run, let's make it happen. A competition that ends sometime this year sounds reasonable to me. It'd be nice to advertise the compo along with the sales of more carts.

What do you guys think?
tepples

Post by tepples »

As for the manual, should we start a project on the wiki to write the text? I tried to give enough information to get the player started in each game on the description screen. Is more needed?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

:( That sold out fast. I hope there's another run.
infiniteneslives

tepples wrote:As for the manual, should we start a project on the wiki to write the text? I tried to give enough information to get the player started in each game on the description screen. Is more needed?
I think the instructions are fine as is if you're just wanting to find out how to play, on screen is about as convenient as you can get. For collectors is just about having the stuff sitting on their shelf. I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes a box and manual for this on their own and starts selling them. There are a few guys over at NA that are all about this market, and I've already seen the idea mentioned. If we aren't interested, that's fine. But us doing nothing is effectively telling them it's okay to do whatever they'd like and personally profit from this project. One solution might just be to work with them. Either way we can't really get to upset about them doing something if we choose to do nothing. I know some people that might be interested in taking on the project I can try to sort out details with them if we're interested in using their work on this. Having a wiki for the text sounds like a good idea, that will us something to work with to get started at least. It would also allow easy addition by new games added for future compos/releases as a living document. Contributors can put in their own writing what they'd like to see in the end manual/box taking some of the burden off one person.